Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My Lust for Rust


I dunno about you, but I really REALLY love rust. Old, crusty metal is something that has so much character. That's exactly what I love about my banner. It is a photo I took of the bottom of a metal dresser drawer that has been out in the weather for who knows HOW long. I could have stayed there all day, even though I was freezing, taking pix of that piece!

Well, my knowledge of duplicating rust is about as long as my memory. That ain't good. But I'm having a lot of fun and learning at the same time, as I work on a plain, ol' wooden crate. I liked the crate but, well, it was just that: a crate. Made out of cheapo wood and staples. After watching Tim Holtz's DVD for, like, the hundredth time, I was inspired to see what I could do with this piece that I was SURE had potential.

So maybe rust doesn't have the vivid color in the "crooks and nannies", but I wish you could see it in your hands. I love how the rust seems to come alive from the colors beneath it and vice versa. It's not done, but here are a few shots. I'll try to get some better ones in the natural daylight later this afternoon. I have a houseful of kids now, begging for quesadillas and cinnamon applesauce (don't laugh - the combo is GREAT!), and I must admit: that sounds pretty yummy to ME right now!

I hope you have a wonderfully creative day! Lemme know what you're working on!

1 comment:

carole brungar said...

OH MY GOD! I have 2 mini wooden crates which I store my post cards in! Isn't that wierd? They aren't painted, but I've been looking at them wondering.......
kiwi;-)