Sunday, August 24, 2008

Every Child

Every child is an artist.
The problem is how to
remain an artist
once he grows up.
~Pablo Picasso


We began this gloriously fall-feeling day by going through our latest art books from the library. What ideas! We just spent a great time, the kids and I, making sidewalk paint. So easy peasy, you'll want to make it just to play with it for yourself. And perhaps you should. Even if you don't have any offspring. Make some and go out to a place on the cement and paint like you were still a child. Feel the sun (or breeze) on your face, smell the freshness in the air, and get in touch with that free spirit that allows you to create with abandon. Suns, rainbows, your name, stick people...

What cha need:
sticks of chalk
ziploc baggies
hammer
one cup for each color
one paintbrush for each color
water

Ready? EXcellent! Place one stick of chalk in each baggy and zip it up.

Now bash the daylights out of it with a hammer. Upset with your significant other? Your mom? Your boss? The idiot at the grocery store who smashed up your grapes by putting them in the bottom of the bag? Go ahead and take this opportunity to get that anger out.


Where was I? Oh yeah - hammer it until it's powder. Note: it's best to do this on the welcome mat as opposed to the actual sidewalk. The baggy can only take so much abuse before it tears. The welcome mat is a good buffer. Also, do this all outside and DO NOT breathe the chalk dust. The chalk itself is non-toxic (if you use kid chalk), but still - not good to breathe in a whole lotta chalk dust, ya know?

Pour one baggy of chalk dust into a cup. Add a little bit of water and mix it up with a dedicated brush. I started with a ratio of 1/4 (one part water to 4 parts chalk). Add more water as needed. We left our's kinda thick so the colors would be vivid and not wimpy on the sidewalk.


Zat's eet! Paint away! Then, once your little Picassos have had enough, simply hose it off with the sprayer set on "rip it!".


Have a fun, playful, childlike day - you deserve it!
Smooches & rainbows!

8 comments:

Maggie R said...

Hi Deb...Long time no see!!!!
Love this idea....
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie

morningDove said...

Oh what memories. I love this post. and the colors are wonderful.

Michelle said...

What fun! Whatcha been up to? Come up for "air" yet (or are you still on "fire"? lol) - and little kitty bambinos romping around the house? Thinkin of ya! Michelle

Lindi said...

ooh what fun! Definitely something I'll do soon. It reminds me of the time I let my son and his friends paint with poster paint on the outside of our very large loungeroom window. they had a ball and from inside it looked very stained glassy and pretty. Made a mess of the concrete patio, but the paint eventually wore off.

NEEDLEWINGS said...

What a fun kids project! Thanks for sharing!

Maggie R said...

Goodmorning Deb,
Thought I would stop in and see what you are up to..... LOTS OF FUN as usual....
makes me want to try this, but oh my what would the neighbours think of this old lady!giggle giggle...
Hope you have a great day....
If I can find my camera!!!!!! I want to post some more pictures.... hehehehehehhe
xoxo
((((hugs))))
maggie

morningDove said...

love the kiddies and your little artists. Are you down on server?

Katie Jeanne Wood said...

This is sooo terrific. It made me smile BIG!!

When I moved into my house last year, there were chalk drawings on the sidewalk leading up to the front door. Guess what? Last time I looked, it's still there!!! I think the leaves from the trees are protecting the chalk from being washed away.