Sunday, February 22, 2009

Krazee Kritters


I was on Crazy Art Girl's blog (it might have been an old one??) last night and she mentioned an idea of doing something new each day. Whether it's trying a new technique, or using a new material, it doesn't matter. Just do one new thing each day. And I've had a few projects going for a while and something new sounded great to me! I mean, sometimes ya don't wanna start another month-long project, but you need a break from what you're currently doing. So that's what we did today.

We woke up, the kiddos and I, and wanted to paint. What to paint, what to paint. We went round and round, looked at some new books, then settled on these. We've been drawing "monsters", "critters", whatEVER you wanna call 'em for months now. But since we're getting more and more into dolls, we thought we'd make our creations into something we could hold.

SO... we worked on some basic drawings for a bit. Then I took those and traced them onto white sateen cotton and we painted them. WHAT FUN!! This cotton is a DREAM to paint on! The paint goes on so creamy and opaque. We were happily surprised at how nice they came out! I stitched mine and Chloe's (lavender cat) with a vivid variegated rainbow sulky thread, which looks REALLY great, even though you can't tell. Then, Denny chose copper metallic sulky for his red guy. Again, looks fab.

I then layered 'em with a back, two layers of fleece and a bit of fiberfill. Although I never quite got back to getting my current projects a wee bit closer to completion, this was a really fun break!

2 comments:

carole brungar said...

Hey how ya going? These little critters look great, bet the kids adore them!

DIANE said...

Your description of these did not do them justice. They are just so adorable!